Scenes/Lines Of Future Books: Knife Of Dreams Spoilers
Tim Bruening
2005-11-08 09:17:12 UTC

Daughter of the Nine Moons to Rand during their truce negotiations: Meet
my husband Mat!

I look forward to Suroth apologizing to Empress Tuon for trying to kill
her!

Mat blows the Horn of Valere a 2nd time and says to the assembled Heroes
"This time, I want you to HELP the Seanchan!".

I would love to see Tuon's face when she learns that Mat summoned dead
Heroes, including Artur Hawkwing, to smash the Seanchan at Falme!

With the Seanchan continent in chaos after the massacre of the Royal
Family, I suspect that Tuon will have to ask Rand to Gate Seanchan
troops and Mat's cannon and rapid fire crossbows to Seanchan land to
restore order.

Lan in a letter to Nynaeve via pigeon: What in the Light is going on!
Everyone and his grandmother is following me all over the Borderlands!
I feel like the Pied Piper! PS: Please send 1 million MREs!

Egwene (attending Elaida's intimate dinner with her former
pillow-friend) to Elaida: Did you like your forkroot tea? (I believe
that Head Cook Laras, one of Egwene's friends, might be willing to slip
forkroot tea in Elaida's drink!).

I'm surprised that ultra conservative Elaida would be willing to enter a
lesbian relationship!
Rogtag
2005-11-08 11:48:02 UTC
ROFL!

Excellent post :-)
Karan Juneja
2005-11-08 12:17:38 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
Lan in a letter to Nynaeve via pigeon: What in the Light is going on!
Everyone and his grandmother is following me all over the Borderlands!
I feel like the Pied Piper! PS: Please send 1 million MREs!
MREs?
Post by Tim Bruening
I'm surprised that ultra conservative Elaida would be willing to enter a
lesbian relationship!
My reading of it puts it in past tense, already. This is a "renewal of
the friendship" attempt.
KJ
Wenchmagnet
2005-11-08 12:20:36 UTC
Awesome post! Had me laughing out loud!

MRE - Meal Ready to Eat - used by the military or providing aid after
disasters etc.
Tim Bruening
2005-11-10 02:14:39 UTC
Post by Karan Juneja
Post by Tim Bruening
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
Lan in a letter to Nynaeve via pigeon: What in the Light is going on!
Everyone and his grandmother is following me all over the Borderlands!
I feel like the Pied Piper! PS: Please send 1 million MREs!
MREs?
Meals Ready to Eat, used by modern armies.
Post by Karan Juneja
Post by Tim Bruening
I'm surprised that ultra conservative Elaida would be willing to enter a
lesbian relationship!
My reading of it puts it in past tense, already. This is a "renewal of
the friendship" attempt.
But she's going to have dinner with her former girl friend, and I got the
impression that she was considering renewing the relationship.
Tim Bruening
2010-03-19 22:35:25 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
Meals Ready to Eat, served in the military.
Eric Means
2005-11-08 17:38:46 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
With the Seanchan continent in chaos after the massacre of the Royal
Family, I suspect that Tuon will have to ask Rand to Gate Seanchan
troops and Mat's cannon and rapid fire crossbows to Seanchan land to
restore order.
Nobody's going to Seanchan. Remember that it has to have devolved into
dozens of small, warring nations by the time the Wheel rolls around to
Artur Hawkwing sending his son over there again. Strong central
government would prevent that.
Oliver Daniels
2005-11-08 18:02:58 UTC
Post by Eric Means
Nobody's going to Seanchan. Remember that it has to have devolved into
dozens of small, warring nations by the time the Wheel rolls around to
Artur Hawkwing sending his son over there again. Strong central
government would prevent that.
Dude. That's ages away. Literally. There's gonna be a whole 'nother AoL
with strong central government across the whole planet way before the
Wheel turns fully again

Oliver

Btw, I've been watching too much Lost recently. Gotta stop talking like
Hurley.
Tim Bruening
2005-11-10 02:21:47 UTC
Post by Eric Means
Post by Tim Bruening
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
Wouldn't the Breaking take care of that problem?
Rag742
2005-11-08 17:47:30 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
[...]
What is the Timeline for the new book 12. Another four prequel before
we get the real Mccoy.
PS :I donot think pillow friend is lesbian relationship. It means they
share the same bed which look ilike it is very common in Rand o'land.
See Sun Palace under Elyanie-- 4 to a bed.(Must sound like Heaven to
some modern day catholic priests.)
Rag742
Erik Wikström
2005-11-08 19:16:43 UTC
Post by Rag742
PS :I donot think pillow friend is lesbian relationship. It means they
share the same bed which look ilike it is very common in Rand o'land.
See Sun Palace under Elyanie-- 4 to a bed.(Must sound like Heaven to
some modern day catholic priests.)
Rag742
Pillow-friend is most certainly more than sharing a bed, or do you think
an Aes Sedai (can't remember her name) would want to share a bed with
the Amyrlin (Elaida) again, as they used to when they were novices? :-)

Erik Wikström
--
"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure
out how to use my telephone" -- Bjarne Stroustrup
Legolas
2005-11-09 02:22:26 UTC
Post by Erik Wikström
Post by Rag742
PS :I donot think pillow friend is lesbian relationship. It means they
share the same bed which look ilike it is very common in Rand o'land.
See Sun Palace under Elyanie-- 4 to a bed.(Must sound like Heaven to
some modern day catholic priests.)
Rag742
Pillow-friend is most certainly more than sharing a bed, or do you think
an Aes Sedai (can't remember her name) would want to share a bed with
the Amyrlin (Elaida) again, as they used to when they were novices? :-)
Yes, it is. RJ actually explained it in his blog. Says it involves a
lot of sweating and messing up the sheets...

http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/

QUOTE:

"And for MJJ, as posted by DomA, pillow friends are not just good
friends. Oh, they are that, too, but they also get hot and sweaty
together and muss up the sheets something fierce. By the way, pillow
friends is a term used in the White Tower. The same relationship
between men or women elsewhere would be called something else,
depending on the country."

UNQUOTE
Legolas
Emily
2005-11-09 19:15:03 UTC
Wait, aren't Suian and Moirane described as pillow-freinds in 'New
Spring'? Does that mean they were mussing up the sheets as well??
Michelle J. Haines
2005-11-09 20:10:54 UTC
Post by Emily
Wait, aren't Suian and Moirane described as pillow-freinds in 'New
Spring'? Does that mean they were mussing up the sheets as well??
My personal take on this:

"Pillow friends" was at first a term for friends in the tower who
whispered through the holes near the bed. Then it seemed to be used for
both novice friends AND lovers. Now RJ seems to be telling us it's
always lovers. It seems to have evolved through the series. But, I
don't know, it just seems odd to be that -every- novice in the Tower is
getting it on with her best buds. *shrug*

Now, would Elayne and Egwene have ended up with the naughty definition
of pillow friends if they'd had the time to spend in the Tower? And
I've always been a little suspicious about this "getting friendly enough
to wash each other's hair" business with
Avienda and Elayne, too. Personally, I think RJ just likes the
girl-on-girl action. :p

Michelle
Flutist
Legolas
2005-11-10 00:16:39 UTC
Post by Emily
Wait, aren't Suian and Moirane described as pillow-freinds in 'New
Spring'? Does that mean they were mussing up the sheets as well??
Hmm... can you remember where?
Moiraine and Siuan are both in love men, aren't they?
Or does RJ have bisexual fantasies too?
Legolas
Mitchell Swan
2005-11-10 18:45:38 UTC
Post by Legolas
Post by Emily
Wait, aren't Suian and Moirane described as pillow-freinds in 'New
Spring'? Does that mean they were mussing up the sheets as well??
Hmm... can you remember where?
New Spring, Chapter 17, An Arrival
Post by Legolas
Moiraine and Siuan are both in love men, aren't they?
Well, one denies it with everything she's got, and the other has just
resorted to calling Thom "My Dearest."
Post by Legolas
Or does RJ have bisexual fantasies too?
I personally think this point is unclear. Merean is telling Cadsuane
about Moiraine and she calls them pillow-friends. We've seen plenty
of times when Aes Sedai lie because they believe something that isn't
true[1], just because she says it, it's not necessarily so. However,
Moiraine does not refute it, either vocally or internally.

Plus, later Moir. POV's that Merean is spreading "intimacies." Now she
could be calling the details of her punishments "intimacies," but that
just doesn't sound right, even given the privacy of penances of Aes
Sedai, even those who've passed the test but haven't been raised yet.

The whole bláse attitude about lesbianism didn't seem as rampant in
RJ's writings when New Spring was written, so I think we would have
seen a bit more indignation from Moir. about that particular charge if
it were not true. Especially given both Suian's and Moir's internal
prudishness about kissing guys.

The whole issue of Suian/Moir possibly mussing the sheets is unclear,
personally, I'm leaning toward a no.

[1] Ignoring the fact that she's Black. There's not really any reason
to lie about something like that.
--
Mitch
"While I am new to these things, I cannot help wondering whether it
might be disrespectful to vault over an altar that way."
Chris Liguori
2005-11-11 11:13:52 UTC
Post by Mitchell Swan
Post by Legolas
[...]
I think they definitely were messing up the sheets. Earlier in New
Spring Moiraine plants a kiss on Suian that I took to be the fade out
of our view to the scene but not the end of their entanglement. I
think it is a mistake to view the pillow friend situation with our
modern view of sexuality. Look more at Roman and Greek military
sexuality or the sexuality of various navies of history. Anywhere you
have young people of the same sex confined you'll see more homosexual
activity, because they are young and horny. Add the feeling of
separation from the rest of humanity that becoming an AS engenders, and
it only amplifies the need to find comfort in another woman.

We tend to view gay/bi/straight sexual orientations as fixed in our
society because we generally allow such activity to occur. People
therefore figure out which they are and stay that way. I realize that
gay/bi orientations are not always encouraged, but compared to the last
1000 years, we are very open to all lifestyles. In a situation like
the White Tower, you have a several hundred girls shut away from men
and worked hard by their teachers. They only have themselves to find
comfort and they do.

Look at Tarna's POV in KOD. She obviously had relationships with women
as novice and doesn't view it as bad or shameful. She just as
obviously prefers men, now that she has access to them again. I would
put Moir and Suian in this category as well. From the POV we can tell
that Galina was probably gay, and Elaida either gay or bisexual. Also
note that Tarna views her and the others sapphic encounters as
something young girls do, and her disapproval of Elaida's
tête-à-tête is that it is improper of her to to act as a novice,
rather than any real problem with her sexuality.

I think the Randlanders have a more Romanesque view of sexuality than
we do. They are not burdened as we are in the west with 2000 years of
religious indoctrination that only heterosexual activity is
permissible.

Just my two cents,

Chris
Antonio Contreras
2005-11-14 00:01:08 UTC
Post by Chris Liguori
Post by Mitchell Swan
Post by Legolas
[...]
I generally agree with your post, but I'd like to add some random
thoughts about it:

- Most societies throught history have accepted homosexuality in a way
or another. I read somewhere that the ones that did not represented a
mere 10% of the total. Nowadays western society is counted in this 10%,
- For all we know, Randland society accepts lesbianism. But we haven't
seen or heard of man to man action, so we just don't know what
Randlanders think about it (it would be more precise to say that we
don't know what RJ thinks about it).
Tim Bruening
2005-11-12 05:29:19 UTC
Post by Rag742
Post by Erik Wikström
the Amyrlin (Elaida) again, as they used to when they were novices?
:-)
Yes, it is. RJ actually explained it in his blog. Says it involves a
lot of sweating and messing up the sheets...
http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/
"And for MJJ, as posted by DomA, pillow friends are not just good
friends. Oh, they are that, too, but they also get hot and sweaty
together and muss up the sheets something fierce. By the way, pillow
friends is a term used in the White Tower. The same relationship
between men or women elsewhere would be called something else,
depending on the country."
UNQUOTE
Another possible future scene: Rodel Ituralde is about to launch another
attack on a Seanchan encampment when Rand steps out of a Gate in front of
him and yells "Call off your attack! We have a truce with the
Seanchan!".
Tim Bruening
2010-03-19 22:37:37 UTC
Post by Erik Wikström
Post by Rag742
PS :I donot think pillow friend is lesbian relationship. It means they
share the same bed which look ilike it is very common in Rand o'land.
See Sun Palace under Elyanie-- 4 to a bed.(Must sound like Heaven to
some modern day catholic priests.)
Rag742
Pillow-friend is most certainly more than sharing a bed, or do you think
an Aes Sedai (can't remember her name) would want to share a bed with
the Amyrlin (Elaida) again, as they used to when they were novices? :-)
I find it amazing that someone as conservative as Elaida would be inclined
to reenter a lesbian relationship.
i***@island.liu.se
2005-11-09 16:56:57 UTC
Tim Bruening wrote

<snip future scenes>

Taim and the new Dreadlords dragging Pevara and her red co to 13
Myhrdraal and turning them to the DO. Jordan gotta make use of that
possiblility on POV.
Poor Pevara, leading the fraction of resistance at the WT beeng turned
to the dark side. We might also see Pevara betraying some of the other
part of the resistance, although that seems less likely.

//Marcus
Karan Juneja
2005-11-10 00:48:46 UTC
Post by i***@island.liu.se
<snip future scenes>
Taim and the new Dreadlords dragging Pevara and her red co to 13
Myhrdraal and turning them to the DO. Jordan gotta make use of that
possiblility on POV.
It's been pointed out elsewhere that Men can't link without Women, so
that whole circle of 13 needs more women than men.
KJ
i***@island.liu.se
2005-11-10 11:16:04 UTC
Post by Karan Juneja
It's been pointed out elsewhere that Men can't link without Women, so
that whole circle of 13 needs more women than men.
I was under the impression that in order to channel through 13
Myhrdraal and convert someone to the DO you wouldn't need to link. Can
you give me a ref. please?

//Marcus
Eric Means
2005-11-10 16:04:24 UTC
Post by i***@island.liu.se
Post by Karan Juneja
It's been pointed out elsewhere that Men can't link without Women, so
that whole circle of 13 needs more women than men.
I was under the impression that in order to channel through 13
Myhrdraal and convert someone to the DO you wouldn't need to link. Can
you give me a ref. please?
I don't think anyone but RJ knows for sure. We've never seen it
happen, only been told what is required in very vague terms. "13
channelers channeling through 13 Myrddraal" could mean linked, or not
linked, or who knows what else.
Tim Bruening
Not a problem. There are lots of Black Ajahs running around.
Tim Bruening
2005-11-10 02:29:34 UTC
Post by i***@island.liu.se
<snip future scenes>
Taim and the new Dreadlords dragging Pevara and her red co to 13
Myhrdraal and turning them to the DO. Jordan gotta make use of that
possiblility on POV.
Poor Pevara, leading the fraction of resistance at the WT beeng turned
to the dark side. We might also see Pevara betraying some of the other
part of the resistance, although that seems less likely.
//Marcus
Rand Bonding Tuon.

Egwene forkteaing Elaida and her girlfriend, then making herself look like
Elaida in order to roll up the Tower.
Will Frank
2005-11-10 03:11:45 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
Egwene forkteaing Elaida and her girlfriend, then making herself look like
Elaida in order to roll up the Tower.
"This katamari seems bitch-ish..."

- --
Will "scifantasy" Frank - ***@stwing.upenn.edu
"All that mankind has done, thought, gained, or been: it is lying as
in magic preservation in the pages of books." --Thomas Carlyle
Geoffrey Willmore
2005-11-10 11:58:00 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
Rand Bonding Tuon.
That would be rude towards Mat and towards Elayne, Aviendha and Min.

On the other hand, Tuon could learn to channel and bond Mat, if he let her
do.
Tim Bruening
Isn't Rand supposed to bind the Nine Moons?
Sorcha
2005-11-12 08:09:08 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Geoffrey Willmore
Post by Tim Bruening
Rand Bonding Tuon.
That would be rude towards Mat and towards Elayne, Aviendha and Min.
On the other hand, Tuon could learn to channel and bond Mat, if he let her
do.
Isn't Rand supposed to bind the Nine Moons?
'Bind the nine moons to serve him', to precise. Which is a little
less specific than a Warder-type personal bonding and I really doubt
that he'd be on for bonding Tuon against her will, given his
experience with Alanna, not to mention the fact that his head is
probably getting somewhat crowded already at this point.

It could also refer to being bound with an Oath Rod, as the Aes Sedai
are 'bound to serve'. Although one of the available binding rods is
in the White tower, controlled by the Tower Aes Sedai and the other
is, iirc, on its way to the Aiel Waste with Therava & Co.

Sorcha
--
"There's no such thing as autobiography,
There's only art and lies."
Jeanette Winterson - Art and Lies
Tim Bruening
2005-11-13 02:07:55 UTC
Post by Sorcha
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Geoffrey Willmore
Post by Tim Bruening
Rand Bonding Tuon.
That would be rude towards Mat and towards Elayne, Aviendha and Min.
On the other hand, Tuon could learn to channel and bond Mat, if he let her
do.
Isn't Rand supposed to bind the Nine Moons?
'Bind the nine moons to serve him', to precise. Which is a little
less specific than a Warder-type personal bonding and I really doubt
that he'd be on for bonding Tuon against her will, given his
experience with Alanna, not to mention the fact that his head is
probably getting somewhat crowded already at this point.
It could also refer to being bound with an Oath Rod, as the Aes Sedai
are 'bound to serve'. Although one of the available binding rods is
in the White tower, controlled by the Tower Aes Sedai and the other
is, iirc, on its way to the Aiel Waste with Therava & Co.
Where it can be captured by the pro-Rand Aiel and transferred to Rand for use on
the new Empress.
Sydo Zandstra
2005-11-13 21:19:59 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Sorcha
Post by Tim Bruening
Tim Bruening wrote in message
Post by Tim Bruening
[...]
No. All pro-Rand Aiel are located west of the Spine of the World...

And from the latest reports, no Aiel will be able to stop the Shaido from
movig back to The Waste.
Sydo Zandstra
Ash
2005-11-13 22:36:08 UTC
Apart from those still in the waste
Legolas
2005-11-14 01:36:35 UTC
Post by Ash
Post by Sydo Zandstra
And from the latest reports, no Aiel will be able to stop the Shaido from
movig back to The Waste.
Apart from those still in the waste
Of course there are still plenty of Aiel in the waste. Only the
warriors followed Rand. It is certainly those that stayed which are
the remnant that will survive. RJ has no way to kill all of those.
If a battle occurs there, there's no place that Rand or the Aiel can't
Travel to to save the day. The Wise Ones can communicate in dreams
and will immediately inform the ones in Randland of the attacks.
If he (RJ/the Dark One) tries to use some
epidemic/catastrophy/supernatural event to kill them all over such a
huge area (the Aiel waste is as large as, or larger than the Randland
we know from the map - see one of the maps in the Guide), it would be
total nonesense, because he could also have used the same method to
eradicate all life on Randland, and won that way.
Legolas
Sydo Zandstra
2005-11-14 17:26:49 UTC
Post by Ash
Post by Sydo Zandstra
No. All pro-Rand Aiel are located west of the Spine of the World...
And from the latest reports, no Aiel will be able to stop the Shaido from
moving back to The Waste.
Apart from those still in the waste
I forgot about the non-warriors who stayed behind. Still, they are no match
for the returning Shaido, I believe.
Sydo Zandstra
Tim Bruening
the new Empress.
T. Robertson
2005-11-11 03:16:51 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
[...]
Aviendha to Rand --> "It has been 7 books since we last got busy Rand
al'Thor. You have great toh."
Eric Means
2005-11-15 19:41:31 UTC
Post by T. Robertson
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
And then she'll spank him. :-P
Timothy Bruening
2023-08-08 22:39:49 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
[...]
Or great toes?

Timothy Bruening
2022-04-23 01:14:42 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
[...]
Sea Folk to Seanchan: Please check with the Amayar under your control to see if they have committed suicide.